permaculture - Re: Lawn Obsession.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession.....
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:46:51 -0400

On Wed, 24 May 2000 20:34:32 -0400, "Claude Genest"
<genest@together.net> wrote:

>I'm slowly succumbing to the great American obsession with lawns that very
>much pervades my new home town.

>Someone, STOP ME !!

At your service.

>I bought 3.5 acres of perfect Vemont soil with nary a tree on it.
>
>This is my second year here and I've already planted over 70 trees so I'm on
>my way but.....
>
>In the meantime I've added to an already onerous mowing chore. ( have to mow
>AROUND all those trees now).
>
>At one point last summer I let my lawn get a little long and one of my well
>intentioned neighbors came over to offer to mow it for me ( no kidding).

You have 3 1/2 acres of land and they get bent out of shape over the
state of your yard, much less your lawn? They have a problem. Suggest
they seek counseling.

>Now I know that this dilemma may be as simple as "Just stop mowing" BUT....

It is that simple. Just say no to mowing lawns.

>here is my specific question:
>
>Is just letting a lawn go (back to wildness) a good ( or the best) Pc idea

Yes. There are millions of things you can do with open land without
doing grass alone. Want morew ideas? I spent 16 years as a landscape
designer/contractor and can offer a combination of pc and landscape
solutions. How much money do you want to spend?

>I'm being told that I'll be creating a mosquitio paradise. IS that so?

No. Not necessarily, at any rate.

>Just what does happen when you let a lawn grow wild?

Plants get taller and wider then go to seed.

>(e.g. "they run you out of town" or "you are shunned by the community at
>large" :-)

Who cares what they think. If they have a problem with the way your
yard looks, its just that: _their_ problem.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: Lawn Obsession....., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/24/2000