permaculture - Re: Wheatgrass and other raw sprouts questions...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Wheatgrass and other raw sprouts questions...
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:33:45 -0500

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:07:51 -0000, "Graham Burnett"
<gburnett@unisonfree.net> wrote:

>Where would one obtain wheatgrass seed for sprouting purposes (ie, for
>eating?)

any wholegrain wheat for cooking purposes will do fine
get a Lifestream wheatgrass juicer

>Also, the green manure Alfalfa is presumably also suitable for sprouting?

yes, also clover, brocolli, buckwheat, sunflower and hundreds of
others

>Finally, I've grown spelt wheat in the past, but found it's tough coat a
>problem when added to
>soups etc (I havn't grown enough to make it viable to make into a flour,
>etc, but thought a handful
>in a soup would be OK, eg, like barley)

dont do barley sprouts - just cook/bake the whole grain

>I also tried sprouting spelt so that I could eat the shoots, but again the
>tough coat is hard to
>remove and makes the job too labour intensive to be worthwhile- has anybody
>any suggestions?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: Wheatgrass and other raw sprouts questions..., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/23/2000