percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer - Chapter One

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: hughesl6363 AT aol.com
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer - Chapter One
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2024 16:17:32 +0000 (UTC)

Ms McDonnell,

Thank you, thank you, thank you...sometimes I feel like the Ancient Mariner when I talk about the Gatsby connection.

I agree with your observation about Percy's TB experience and Binx's war wounding. Never thought of that!

Also your points about Mercer. Until you brought him up, I never gave him much thought. The one thing I recalled about him was Binx's conclusion that "Negroes do not have an affection for motors." That's the sort of comment that would get Moviegoer banned from some quarters, but you can't blame a writer for his characters' sentiments. I agree that Percy was ahead of his time, from other things he has written. He may not have been so progressive as AOC, but he was no racist.

I hope to pull up more Gatsby allusions as we continue reading slowly; they're scattered about the novel like Easter eggs and, I think, form the basis for many of the book's themes and its "purpose."

--Leonard