percy-l - Re: [percy-l] lancelot

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Wade Riddick <wriddick AT usa.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] lancelot
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:48:37 -0600

Hey, Wade, can you elaborate on that? I don't remember Henry the IV at all. I did have a sudden recall of the Prince Valiant reference in MG, but that's a bit non sequitar.

Hamlet, Act 3 Sc 4

I do repent: but heaven hath pleased it so,
To punish me with this and this with me,
That I must be their scourge and minister.
I will bestow him, and will answer well
The death I gave him. So, again, good night.
I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.

It's a call to divine retribution with kamikaze overtones.