percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "American Dream"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "American Dream"
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 11:00:39 -0700

David,

Amazing how Prufrock haunts us as we grow older (I turn 40 in August). I remember reading Prufrock in high school and thinking, "Oh, come on . . . it isn't like that, is it?" Twenty some years later, the answer is, "Yeah, it's exactly like that!"

Some advice that you haven't requested: Don't expect them to get who Rory Calhoun and Bill Holden are. Instead, show them some pictures of them or some film clips (IMBD should have the info on which films they were in--I know Calhoun's in HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE). Or give them modern day equivalents. Better yet, have them come up with the equivalents by starting with how each actor was perceived in his day.

Best of luck!

--Rhonda
. . . what people really fear is not that the bomb will fall but that the bomb will not fall . . .
--Walker Percy