percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Lawrence Rhu" <rhul AT gwm.sc.edu>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:38:50 -0400

Isn't it "dated" in the ways Don Quixote or Madame Bovary is dated? Their
protagonists fall under the spells of the fashionable fictions of their times
-- chivalric romance, sentimental novel -- but they share themes that
continue to engage us: the relations between imagination and reality, moods
and worlds, etc. Try The Movies of My Life by Alberto Fuguet for a more
recent similar sort of fictional effort, but I would readily put Percy's
masterful novel in the line of those by Cervantes and Flaubert.

Larry

Lawrence F. Rhu
Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Tel: 803 777 0144
Fax: 803 777 9064
Email: rhul AT sc.edu

>>> dabeck AT iupui.edu 05/10/06 10:39 PM >>>
Friends,
A few weeks (months?) ago, someone posted a message about the success
of teaching The Moviegoer to a high school class. (I'm thinking it was
Rhonda.) But the email encouraged me to try it once again, in my Intro
to Lit class this summer. Most of the class will be bright-faced, eager
to learn, college freshman--well, college freshman anyway.
The Moviegoer is one of my favorites, but it's also one that I've never
taught successfully. Most thought it was too weird (I interpreted that
as being too dated--replace Tony Curtis with Tom Cruise, etc.) But if
high schoolers got it, then maybe it is the way I've been teaching it.
Lancelot has always gone over well in my 200-level lit classes. And
Love in the Ruins also works pretty well, though it's a little too
long. But TMG is such a great book that I thought I needed to give it
one more try. I'm re-reading it now and am really enjoying it again.
So my question is (to the list and to Rhonda, if she is the one who
posted the email): What is a good way of presenting this novel that is
dated (in its references) but is as timely now (if not more so) than
ever to college freshman?
Any help will be much appreciated. The class doesn't begin until 6/26.
Thanks.
-David

--
An archive of all list discussion is available at
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/percy-l/