percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:06:19 -0700

Hi David--

Yes, it was me--I taught it again this spring, and again, students loved it. And students hated it. It depended on the kid. But they all seemed to get it, which was important to me. I used it in AP Senior English (Advanced Placement Literature and COmposition), which is taught on a level equal to an introductory lit. course at college. I did some things to help students out. I told them who William Holden, Rory Calhoun, and Gregory Peck were, and what they were known for. I gave them correlating actors in today's Hollywood. We had read THE STRANGER, and I'd given them a rudimentary understanding of Existentialism. They were frustrated by Mersault, and Binx was the answer, so that helped them like him. We spent time looking at the humor of the text. I had the students find passages and references that were humorous. Following class discussion helped those who had difficulty seeing the humor get it. And, finally, and most importantly, before they started reading, I had them read Percy's essay "Stoicism in the South" and I gave them a Kierkegaard primer (Karey Perkins has a nice overview online). Following the novel, during the time we were discussing it, I also had them read excerpts from several other essays: "The Man on the Train," "Notes for a Novel at the End of the World," and "Novel Writing in an Apocalyptic Age."

Still, some didn't like it. Others have rhapsodized. One young man, frantic over having lost his copy of the essay excerpts, requested a second copy from me. In my world, these moments are victories.

I have 44 students, a mixed bag, young philosophers, cheerleaders, jazz musicians, football players, etc. The only thing they have in common is that they're bright and introspective (although some of them keep that a secret).

Good luck with it--If you use study guides, etc, and would like copies of mine, let me know.

--Rhonda
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. -- WB Yeats