percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Countdown to a Meltdown

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey" <karey AT kareyperkins.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Countdown to a Meltdown
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:03:08 -0400

From snopes.com (which, you may know, is the authoritative source for de-bunking "urban legends"):

  • On Friday (26 August), Governor Blanco did indeed declare a state of emergency for the state of Louisiana in advance of Katrina's making landfall in the Gulf Coast.

  • On Saturday (27 August), Governor Blanco asked President Bush to declare a state of emergency at the federal level for the state of Louisiana.

  • The White House responded to Governor Blanco's request that same day (Saturday) by declaring the emergency and authorizing FEMA "to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency."

    FEMA had the authorization to move in.  The city did not have the resources to address the problem which was far greater than a hurricane (and that should have been addressed at the federal level years earlier).