percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: dabeck AT iupui.edu
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:57:17 -0500

I'm not sure what Percy would say about this recent disaster. I do know,
however, that conveying this idea--that tragedy can break us from our
everydayness, even make life exciting again--is difficult to convey to my
college students. Some get it; some think it's crazy.
When I used to Lancelot along with Fight Club, I would point out the
similarities (narrator/Tyler hoping that the plane he's on crashes, etc. That
feeling pain is better than feeling nothing, etc.
I remember on and after 9/11 we had this discussion on the list. It seemed
be an example of where Percy's hurricane theory didn't work.
Off to class.
-David