percy-l - Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT sheastokes.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] "What's so great about this Percy guy, anyway?"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:07:48 -0400

* * This communication is CONFIDENTIAL * *

Tying the two current themes together ... I was also first attracted to
Percy by the sheer delight in reading his wonderfully smooth prose, and
the way his likable characters roam outside the mainstream, buffeting
about, but ultimately in search of some truer path. The search seems
to begin with awareness of the discomfort of "everydayness."

I was particularly struck, early on, with his comparison (I forget
where, but he returns to this in several books) of a successful man
sitting in his fine home in Short Hills, N.J. on a Wednesday afternoon,
birds chirping contentedly in the trees against a clear blue sky -- he
should be feeling fine; the world is his oyster; but he finds himself
profoundly ill at ease -- contrasted with the excitement one feels when
a hurricane is bearing down. Bad news takes us out of the ordinariness
of a Wednesday afternoon, where you're stuck and don't know what to do,
and wonder how in the hell you'll make it through the next few hours.

But now the hurricane has passed, and has devastated a great city.
Amidst the grief, the ordinariness of a day-to-day struggle of returning
to the ordinary will take over. I wonder how Percy would write of that
experience -- perhaps he has, and I don't recall (it's been many years
since I really spent a lot of time with WP). Love in the Ruins? Maybe
someone out there can point to a book or passage.

Karl