percy-l - [percy-l] homophobe-phobe

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] homophobe-phobe
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:02:41 -0500

Title: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
Nice try Jim... :)

If I may comment on your message to Tim.

(Apologies to the list... I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and though I should be getting ready for classes, this is much more fun).

But, then,... why isn't the suffix "phobe" attached to ALL of those attributes, that we might  strongly object to and that we also might fear about ourselves... like pediphilaphobe, incestaphobe, beastialaphobe, or even something like serialkilleraphobe...  I vehemently object to all of these disordered states and behaviors, and if I look honestly at my heart, I might find disturbing remnants of these qualities...but that doesn't make me afraid of people who give into them (except maybe the serial killer).

I can still object, regardless of my fears about myself, without being labled a such-and-such phobe. In fact, your argument can apply to just about anything. I was of course joking with Nikki about the _expression_ "homophobephobe", but there is some truth in it. I hardly think Nikki is afraid of me (though she might be mildly afraid that I could be right), but it would be silly to lable her with a "phobia" for that reason.

I really should be doing something else...

Steve