percy-l - Re: [percy-l] homophobe-phobe

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] homophobe-phobe
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:16:44 -0400

Title: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
Steve Parlin wrote:

>>But, then,... why isn't the suffix "phobe" attached to ALL of those attributes, that we might  strongly object to and that we >>also might fear about ourselves... like pediphilaphobe, incestaphobe, beastialaphobe, or even something like >>serialkilleraphobe...  I vehemently object to all of these disordered states and behaviors, and if I look honestly at my heart, I >>might find disturbing remnants of these qualities...but that doesn't make me afraid of people who give into them (except maybe >>the serial killer).

Dear Steve,

I think psychoanlytic theory does hold that ALL fears are to some extent projected wishes --and that the key feature by which an irrational phobia can be distinguished from a rational fear is whether or not the fear is proportional to the actual danger posed by the feared object or person.  But I take your point (and Tim's as well) and I don't mean to be engaging in any name calling  -- and apologize if that's how I'm coming across.  Frankly upon examining my own heart some years ago I concluded that I, myself, was a bit homophobic for just the reasons I've outlined above  -- and perhaps in a failed attempt to cure myself  I've overreated with an equal and opposite projection.  I suppose that either way I get to talk about homosexuality and keep my repressed desires somewhat under control.  Damn analyst!

Jim Piat