percy-l - RE: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz AT bbn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:42:19 -0400

Marriage, from the Catholic point of view (to which Percy, to all appearances, fully ascribed) is first and foremost a sacrament.  Marriage, even between a man and woman if they enter it consciously not intending to have children, is invalid.  Same sex "marriage" is a total oxymoron given the cultural roots of the authentic institution -- it can't exist.

Apparently Mr. Robinson referred to his election as the "Easter after Good Friday".  I pity the poor Episcopalians through all this.  What a travesty of Christianity.

Mike