percy-l - [percy-l] Shelby Foote

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Teresa Brader <ttbrader AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Percy-L AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [percy-l] Shelby Foote
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:26:45 -0500

I went to hear Shelby Foote speak at Barnes and Noble in Metairie (suburb of New Orleans) -- Sept. 1997. He read from one of his Civil War books and then answered questions. I asked him a Walker Percy question. Afterwards, I caught him alone and told him I *had* to ask him a Percy question, because Percy was my favorite writer. He said Percy was his favorite too. I asked him which was his favorite Percy book, and, after only a very small hesitation, he answered "The Last Gentleman".

I digress ... during the questioning, someone had asked Foote what his favorite book of his own was, and he said "Follow Me Down". Perhaps that is as good a reason as any to read that one.

Teresa

RHONDA MCDONNELL wrote:

Here's a question for all who are well-read. I've been reading the letters between Percy and Foote and I got to thinking that I've only read SHILOH and chunks of the CIVIL WAR trilogy. After reading the letters, I'd like to get a start on Foote, but, since I've limited time (okay, none . . . perhaps I'm avoiding writing my dss. for a few days), I'm looking for some recommendations. What do you all think is the best of Foote? Is it the history or one of the novels?