percy-l - Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz AT bbn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:16:33 -0500

James Piat wrote:
What I'm trying to figure out now is if his language theory is as "on the
money" as his understanding of man in his novels.

KP

Karey,

Amen (to virtually all you said).  I'm scratching my head about Percy's language theory as well (I just received Peirce's CP in the mail on Saturday, just finished Merrell's book on Peirce, Signs, and Meaning).   I'm convinced there's something there (as have many others before me..).   It's an addiction, I tell you..

Dear Karey,

For what it's worth, I think Percy's language theory is very much rooted in
the same religious convictions as his theory of man.

BTW, why do you suppose the converted are often more zealous that those born
in a faith?

Jim Piat

Jim,

The perspective from a cradle Catholic (lifelong practicing, "always" [i.e. once the adolescent leap-of-faith surmounted] a believer , but only recently on fire [Scott Hahn was responsible]) -- the RCC has done a *terrible* job catechising for several generations now.  Don't know if that's looking at things from an edumacated perspective vs. the working class roots that the majority of our grandparents probably had, but catechesis is in a pitiful state compared to the average educational levels of our society today. The Confirmation classes at my parish are ABYSMAL.  The teachers and even the "teachers of the teachers" don't know enough to teach.  My wife and I were so aghast at the curriculum we were given (literally: "is God more like a golf ball or a Nerf ball" & "just love one another"-type nauseating pap), that we ad-libbed a curriculum based on the Catechism and the kids (ages 13-16 LOVED it).  We were shocked.  The majority of their parents came to us in amazement wanting to know what we were doing and to keep it up.  There's a beauty there that most of us totally miss, just because there's no one there to educate us  (of course the irony is, that after two years of teaching we were literally fired because the DRE didn't believe the Catechism either.  The beatitudes are timeless.).  My wife is working on publishing her own curriculum now.

"Will" is all you need to love God (being ignorant isn't a sin) but, once the "Intellect" grows as well, the love seems to intensify immensely (ala Sheed).  I think many converts by necessity have to "get it", in order to even bother to get "it" (so statistically speaking they'd comprise the majority of zealots given the lukewarmness of the pews).  The vast majority of lay hosts on EWTN shows are converts, not cradles.  (Not speaking for you in any way, Karey, just my usual 2 1/2 c..).

Best,
Mike

--

An archive of all list discussion is available at http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail