percy-l - Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] AND...just one more post...
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:35:58 -0500 (EST)

Karey,
If I remember right, in one of the conversations books, Percy said that,
if forced to choose, he would choose Republican. I'm not a strong
Republican in many ways, but the abortion issue is one that sways me. I
was wondering if this is what you meant by Percy's "attitude toward
women"? I was wondering what you meant by that.
-DB

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Karey L. Perkins wrote:

> Mike --
>
> I wasn't talking about politics, or Republicans, or Democrats -- Newsweek
> was. I was talking about RACISM, and Percy's attitude towards that. I
> agree Percy was interested in justice and not labels. But Percy, and his
> family, are well-born, wealthy, Southern, aristocratic and interested in
> preserving the interests of that world -- which seemed liberal on race
> because it wanted to keep the black in Mississippi, and happy to be in
> Mississippi, but had a kind of paternalism that was, in the end,
> self-interested. While there was certainly altruistic, compassionate, and
> "justice" motives in the Percy family's fight against the KKK and those of
> that ilk, it was also mixed with self-interested motives -- nothing (and no
> one) in REAL life is plain, simple, and purely black and white. We're all
> shades of gray.
>
> Read Tolson's biography, Ch. 3, "Uncle Will," and what great-uncle LeRoy
> asked Uncle Will to do to the black refugees in the flood of 1927. Percy
> was more progressive, but if you are equating my terms of
> progressive/liberal with the Democrat then that is a mistake. A liberal
> from Mississippi is hardly a liberal.
>
> I visited my sister's family (in England) for Christmas. My brother-in-law
> is British (and a professor at Cambridge University and quite bright) and he
> said he was thoroughly confused by the Newsweek article. I asked why, he
> said because the American parties switched in the middle, (as did the Brits
> also with their parties), so Republicans and Democrats became something
> different than what they were -- hard for him to follow. Read the
> article -- it's good. And worth reading, if only in that it describes the
> world, culture and values that Percy, and Strom Thurmond, and Trent Lott
> were given. The Republicans HAD to get rid of Trent Lott -- regardless of
> whether he still believed in the "Dixiecrat" platform of 1948 that Strom
> Thurmond was running on -- because he propagated the image of the racist
> Republican that would be the death toll of the party. I personally happen
> to believe Trent Lott is a racist and meant what he said -- as you see in
> the next week's news, where Lott said he learned a lesson from this -- that
> he needed to change -- though wished he hadn't had to learn it that way.
>
> By the way, on a personal note, I vote against Republican on pretty much
> anything. That does not mean I think Percy would at all, nor was I implying
> that. But I differ from Percy on a lot of things, including a lot of
> political issues, including also his attitude towards women, but not at all
> on his attitude toward race.
>
> Karey

David Beck

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans."
- John Lennon