percy-l - RE: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:00:59 -0500

Dear Jim (I apologize for the previous informalities. Too much in a hurry to
get my ideas out there)

Thanks for the feedback and interesting ideas. All due respect though, I'm
not sure what you mean by "the discovery of the abstract notion existence".
Doesn't this imply that the notion existed before its "discovery"? If so,
doesn't that mean that the "thing" is not contingent upon our constructing
ideas about it? That consciousness was something that existed prior to our
notions of it and was made available to us, either by grace or evolution,
and not something that sprang forth? Hmmm. I have to chew on that for
awhile. But, I think I hold to my first contention that language attempts to
get at the consciousness we participate in, instead of consciousness being a
manifestation of a language we use. Interesting stuff.