percy-l - RE: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:15:57 -0500

What's amazing about this sort of discussion is the insistence from the
science world that we [humans] are not unique. Every attempt is made to
impose human-like qualities (ie. consciousness) into animal/insect
communication. The good doctor even says as much when he speaks of "putting
yourself in the animal's shoes" to "get ideas". Well sure. Why not?

But here's the rub, and it's a howling irony. There are no animal
scientists, or animal poets, or philosophers, or theologians. We are unique
for that reason alone! Animals don't put themselves in our "pads". Animals
don't do that to understand us! They can't. That's just it. They can only
react to an environment; they don't have a "world". This is the
distinction. And, as Percy rightly states, the distinction is infinitely
more vast than comparing a simple lifeless space rock to a complex living
chimp. Consciousness is the thing. There is no consciousness in a dyadic
relation.

We can descend to "put [ourselves] in the animal's "world", sure enough, and
while we are there we can impose humorous likenesses of the Stooges on them.
We can name our cats Bob. We can use metaphors to discuss apparent
interactions and relationships. But, animals can't do the reverse. Cats
don't have their own pets named Bob. Cat's don't discuss with other cats the
"love" that their pets show them when they come in after a bad hunt. And,
they don't write grant proposals to study other creatures by using complex
technology to find out whether they have language in the same way they do.

Language is more than just an exchange of sounds or signs that represent
things. In fact, most of what happens in language happens when no signs or
sounds are made at all. As we all know, the apparatus of language, the signs
and the sounds, always fail us when we are really trying to get at something
we are fully conscious of. Words and strings of words can only approximate
what we know. How many times have we said, "I am speechless"; "I can't find
the words to describe it"; "It defies explanation"; I know what I want to
say, but the words aren't there, etc. Cat's don't do this. Treehoppers don't
do this. Whales don't do this. Chimps don't do this. Chimps have no more to
say to us after learning sign language than they did before learning sign
language.

Animals communicate, of course, but they aren't searching for the right
word. They aren't holding long theorizing debates with other animals about
whether homo sapiens sapiens has language or not. They don't engage in
online debates and imagine what it must be like to walk around on two legs,
sleep in beds, prey to a creator, drink veuve cliquo, play racketball, write
love poems. And, they don't do research or construct theories or write
theses just for the sake of expanding their own knowledge of the world.

They don't have a "world" in which to exist. They have an "environment" to
which they react.

Steve Parlin

Please keep this discussion alive. I'm going to be teaching a class about
this very topic next term. Any new insights will be welcomed.