percy-l - Re: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] animal communication and consciousness
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:26:07 -0500

>> Human beings don't just know; they know that they know. This is a huge
> difference between us and animals.

Dear Ken--

Neat way to put the matter -- How might one demonstrate that one knows
something and in particular that one knows that he knows it? Or that an non
human knows something but not that he knows he knows it?

I'm not trying to be a smart alec -- I think you've got to the crux of what
may be the big distinction between human and non human language or
communication (be it qualitative or merely a matter of degree and I'm
wondering how we might pin this down a bit more objectively or
operationally.

Jim Piat

We take delight in knowing and speaking

http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail