pcplantdb - Re: Report to Threshold

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: webmaster@pfaf.org
  • To: pcplantdb-piwdev <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Report to Threshold
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:13:07 +0100

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
webmaster@pfaf.org wrote:

http://82.138.219.137/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
a semantically marked up wiki with the pfaf and a few other datasets in.

I am curious about something here.

http://82.138.219.137/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Properties
Habit
Height
Width

It looks like width here means caliper so shouldn't it say that
and specify inch or metric measuremen? Also, what about multistem plants like
some specimen river birch with two or more trunks branching at ground level
(hard to measure accurate caliper here).

Height and width are in metres. I Don't understand about calipers, maybe a US term? The width is generally the diameter of the whole plant not the the trunk.

Anyway, a great chance to experiment with a wiki-format. Find the page where it would be helpful to list the units and click ''edit''.

Rich

p.s. Sorry for intermitant access the DB is on my home PC which has intermitant access.
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Web: http://www.pfaf.org/