pcplantdb - Re: Report to Threshold

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: pcplantdb-piwdev <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Report to Threshold
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Josh Shupack <ynaught@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, my name is Josh Shupack. Bear invited me to join the group. I've
> actually been on this list for many months and read through a lot of
> the archives. I like to see what I'm getting myself into before I
> jump in.
>
> I am a freelance web programmer working part time and am interested in
> getting involved. I was kinda sitting back and seeing what was going
> on, but now it looks like I could be helpful. I'm traveling around
> the country this summer visiting intentional communities and friends
> with my wife, so I won't have much time until we get back in Berekely
> in August, but at that point I will have a lot of time to put toward
> this project if I can help.
>
> I have never programmed in Python, but am always happy to pick up
> another language. My idea would be to get a functional skeleton up as
> fast as we can and get people using it and slowly add features. I
> think there are some great minds and great ideas on this list and the
> main thing is to keep rolling and get people using it.
>
> Let me know what you all think.
>
> Regards,

Why should we stick with Python? Shouldn't we take an inventory of skills
and choose accordingly?
PHP can be insecure, but should be sufficient with proper care taken by the
programmers.
Alternatively, Perl with Templates wouldn't be difficult. However, Mediawiki
has been implemented
effectively which is PHP. If we aim to extend Mediawiki, much of the
interface is complete with
simply adding markup features (programmer can choose Python, Perl, C or
Assembly, if they want).
This also makes it possible to divide and conquer by assigning
features/markups and taking measure
on which programmers are more reliable for providing completed features.
Where the markup
language of a wiki isn't always accessible to a computer novice, a separate
data entry path can
assist with data entry (popup page? Firefox extension?).

-Sean.