pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Confabulator

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Confabulator
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:48:40 -0700

On Thursday, July 28, 2005, at 07:56 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Lawrence,
The answer is yes.
I actually just made a simple PIW search widget for Konfabulator.
Here's an image of it running attached below.

Cool!

Do you have a system that can run Konfabulator? We could see if it runs
[on a different system].

I run winxp & assume it is for average webusers with winx systems. I
heard about as I listened to the tech break mid-show during CBC's As It
Happens - then rushed to post about it be4 I forgot details.

I was wondering if the Konfabulator widget-creator engine could allow
piw users to custom tailor their
own piw-specific widgets - that would assume we might need source code
to make software mods necessary to make this possible.
It depends on what you want to do.
It uses javascript as the programming language, and I have seen a number of interesting widgets with complex behaviors.
We could perhaps let the user choose a default Zone to search within, or other search params, things like that. We might be able to make the results appear inside the widget itself if we can output XML of the results.

Note that unfortunately this seems only to work with Windows and OSX, so Linux is out (sorry Chad).

If you feel like trying to install it, we can see if it'll run on Windows.

Cheers,
Bear