pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] server-client split

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] server-client split
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:57:22 +0000

Aloha,

> What I had in mind was
expanding the existing controlled vocabulary and documenting
it... creating usable expressions like 'hardy to -5F' (or -2C), and
'full shade', etc. Google has it's own grammar and folks have even
written books on it. Anyway the goal in my head is to get to a place
where we don't have to have a form with 50+ check boxes in order to
generate a customized search.

I use Google, but I know nothing about their grammar...had no idea there were books on it...do I need to learn about it to use Google effectively?
Would people have to learn "our" grammar to use it effectively?

For some people, lots of drop-lists and checkboxes and so on in a form may well be easier, more comfortable, more familiar, more useable...

I would like us to provide both, since they can both work well.