pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] server-client split

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, john@eco-living.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] server-client split
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:19:46 -0700 (PDT)

I have Python 2.3.3 on my host if you need a home for
proof of concept. I do the installations of software,
so you wouldn't have any upgrade issues. The only
downfall would be the occasional act of toddler making
the host unavailable from time to time. I also need a
Linux buddy to set up redundancy scripts for a
backup/archival plan.

I hope to attract others into a cooperative to pay for
a real host, as I am merely running from a relocatable
IP. I have five other parties considering membership,
which translates to a managed host that we have full
root privileges, but have a 24/7 warm body to swap out
failed disks. The best part is that it would be an
upgrade for me to go with the cheapest solution
(varies between $50 and $65 per month depending upon
what specials are offered; see layeredtech.com).

Let me know if this helps.

-Sean.

--- Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org> wrote:

> > Yeah, pretty nifty. Any 'gotchas' that you're
> aware of?
>
> Well the only gotcha is that it probably won't work
> on ibiblio without
> some help from the admin either by upgrading python
> so we have
> CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler (python 2.3 or later) which
> can use an
> existing http server to do xml-rpc via cgi (very
> clever I think) or
> run a custom xml-rpc on some server that is
> externally accessible.
> --
> Chad Knepp
> python -c 'import base64;print
> base64.decodestring("cHlnQGdhbGF0ZWEub3Jn")'

Discover Yahoo!