pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] server-client split

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] server-client split
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:06:55 +0000

Aloha,

... mostly dropping xml as the transport language
between html client and server. The server will however implement
xml-rpc to serve other clients. My reasoning is that I can see no
good reason for the server to mark up anything (other than xml-rpc)

I thought we were going to define an XML DTD for data returned by the server, as an open standard for all clients to work with.

What will the server be returning, then?

... Some data in the database itself will be
marked up as kfml which is then the clients responsibility to convert
to an appropriate internal format.

Remind me what kfml is again...and why is data in the database being marked up with it?

In short, what happened to all our conversations about XML as our universal data transport markup to and from the DB/server 'engine'?

The server will be very small and have a limited number of methods
including basic data input/output, searchs, authentication, and
verifying data correctness. This should result in a well documented
API that is easy to work with.

Sounds good, aside from me still wondering what it's going to return.

Another kind of technical point is that the html client will be
closely coupled with the server because it can. It will import the
server and utilize it like a library/package. Other clients could do
this as well, but most remote clients using a centralized database
would need to use xml-rpc.

Can you explain what you mean by "client" in all the above? I think I am visualizing something different than you.

Can you also please create some kind of diagram of your proposed software architecture? That may clear up a lot of wordy questions and answers, from me anyhow.
.
It's 9:06 PM in Hawai'i - do you know where your ducklings are? :-)