pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] public announcement

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] public announcement
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:25:56 -0800

hi all,

So I looked back at the post I'd drafted for the permaculture list a few
weeks (months?) back, and decided - the shorter, the better. So I
trimmed it (below), but I know it could be made shorter. Please respond
with SPECIFIC feedback, I'd like to post this to the list this weekend!

Thanks,
*Stephanie

= = =
hello everybody,

My name is Stephanie, and I’m writing to announce an exciting project
that a few of us from this lists are collaborating on, and that
potentially involves you all. The project is called the Permaculture
Information Web, and will provide an open library of relationship-
oriented information about plants and other organisms. As we all
understand, Permaculture involves the weaving of meaningful relationships
between the components of a system; with respect to agriculture, between
organisms of an agricultural system. There currently exist resources
which offer information about individual components (i.e. the PFAF
database), but none that offer information about the relationships
between them…

…yet! PIW seeks to satisfy this need. Users will be able, for example,
to search for a particular plant, and learn about its relationships with
other plants and organisms [can someone give a good example scenario
here?].

PIW has the potential to be an incredibly rich informational resource,
and depends on your participation. The informational content of PIW will
be contributed by you – members of the Permaculture community with
valuable information about ecological relationships. We invite anyone
interested to join our listserv at http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/
recently received a grant, and are very committed to carrying PIW into
fruition.

Thank you, we look forward to some good cross-pollination!

peace
*Stephanie

PIW Team
Chad Knepp