pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][30][12.11.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][30][12.11.04]
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:35:03 +0000

Aloha,

I also thought we could have forums on the website, so users could discuss these issues – and usability issues as hg materializes. Forums might be redundant, seeing as we already have 2 listservs (pcplantdb and piw), but it might be useful to have the forums actually *on* the website? What do you all think?

Put brief info and link to PIW listserv subscription page on the site so people who want to join in that conversation can do so.
Skip the web-UI forums (for now at least) unless someone besides Chad is going to take on the task of finding and implementing appropriate forum software on the site.

What is it that we would like to ask people for, if anything at this point? Characteristics that they would like to be able to search/sort by?

Yes.
And scenarios - what would they want to do with such a DB, how would they use it?
What info stored, what queries and types of searches would they find useful?
Narrative scenarios - people saying in a paragraph or two how they imagine using/would like to use such a resource - would be IMO very helpful in development.
I say this because scenario testing is often what flushes out not only less obvious bugs but also design flaws and/or other shortcomings/inadequacies in software.

Can we give them a running list (the ‘Vocabulary’ Chad sent out) and
ask them to add on as they see fit?

Suggest the Vocab would need to be presented in a less code-like way if so.

7. Phase 1 Goals
Thanks for responding, Johns. What do we want to do with this? Do we want (me) to make an official Phase 1 Goals doc, and include a timeline?

Fine by me. If people don't respond to your general query, I reckon they will to your presentation of goals and timeline... ;-)