pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[17][8.26.04]
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:44:38 -0700

hi all,

Thanks for your post Schinnerer, super comprehensive.

I'll make my bugzilla account etc. sometime today, and all of us should do the
same.

Related, you wrote "Read through Bugzilla help links and play around with it -
create a bug or two, query bug database, ask me questions if something is
unfathomable." Does this apply to everyone? I.e., are you expecting Scott
and I to do this as well? Or is this more for techie folks? (hint hint) I'm
more than willing, but feel like I'd better spend my time grant-seeking...

From a shared web workspace, you asked for "Support easy posting of standard
format static documents. Support auto-annotated group work on docuemnts in
progress." Will we be able to get this from a wiki?

Also, I agree that we might not be ready to post to PC lists - so Lawrence,
can you hold up for a bit?

peace
*Stephanie

John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net> wrote:

Aloha,

It's Sunday! Well, still Sunday in my time zone anyhow. Only about ten
minutes of it left in PST.

>...you requested that everyone create an account on the interim
> bugzilla and give you feed back. Can you please be a bit more specific
about
> what you want from us and how we are supposed to do it?

Go here:

https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/

Click on the 'Open a new bugzilla account' link

Follow instructions on new account page
An e-mail is used as account login because the system automatically
notifies appropriate persons of new bugs, fixed bugs, etc. using that
e-mail. So use an actual working e-mail address that you will be
checking regularly.
This interim bugzilla system is completely private (and SSL-secure to
boot) so your e-mail address will be exposed to no one other than the
rest of us, who already have it anyway.

> So, do we want to use:
> a) wiki
> b) Schinnerer’s domain

I'm not offering my domain for shared workspace.
I'm saying that I will simply link from current and/or future shared
workspaces to documents hosted on my domain, so that if the shared
workspace moves, changes, etc. I don't have to re-post (and potentially
re-format, etc.) all the stuff I put up. At worst I just have to re-link.

> c) Whatever Rich presented

Rich is talking about a unit testing tool, not shared workspace.

> Questions to answer:
> a) what are we going to use this workspace for?

Project documentation of all sorts is my main thought.
Specs
FAQs
Wishlists
etc. ??

> b) What are our needs regarding the workspace?

1) I want it to be able to manage document uploads of common
standardized formats (plain text at the least, RTF would be nice - what
else?) without needing the user to do anything but select the file and
upload it.

2) It should also support auto-annotation of group-work documents, so
that when we are collaborating on something (a spec, a decision list,
whatever) our changes and additions are automatically marked with
date/time and contributor ID.

> c) Ultimately, what do we want out of a shared web workspace?

Support easy posting of standard format static documents.
Support auto-annotated group work on docuemnts in progress.

> Not to stoke the flames, but now I’m curious – were wikis originally
named
> after the Hawaiian word, or is it an acronym or something?

Yeah, originally someone applied the Hawaiian word. There's a general
wiki FAQ somewhere in cyberspace that has the origin story.

> 1. relax. breathe. smile. Love hg.
> 2. Read this project plan
> 3. feedback regarding Chad’s and Lawrence’s latest proposals regarding
the
> ZOPE/Ibiblio issue
> 4. Update me on your status regarding your tasks
> 5. Send me any ideas you have for potential funders (i.e. Lawrence
recommended
> the Noble Foundation and Rich sent me a list – these suggestions are
super
> helpful for me)
> 6. Respond to the questions below
> 7. Create a bugzilla account at https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/, study
> the
> info Schinnerer puts up there regarding testing and bug writing, and
respond
> to him with feedback
> 8. please send me questions you have for Ibiblio so I can compile a list
>
> · John S.

Don't have any funder suggestions.

> 1. upkeep interim Bugzilla set-up on Arashi, create permanent one when we
are
> ready

Interim bugzilla is available for user account creation and
experimentation - see info above for link and instructions.

> 2. look into customization options with John H.

In progress.

> 3. teach others how to create and use their user accounts at
> https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/

Account creation info above.
Read through Bugzilla help links and play around with it - create a bug
or two, query bug database, ask me questions if something is unfathomable.

> 4. once we are ready, set up more permanent issue tracking system and
whatever
> data/parameters/customizations are necessary to start using it on our
project

Pending us being ready and pending result of 8. below.

> 5. prepare and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue tracker
and
> general software test/QA procedures and guidelines – due late the week of
> August 30

Partly done. More to come late next week. Bugzilla help page on
writing bugs is pretty well done, covers most points I would make. I
will review it and add some details and/or points relevant to this
particular project.

> 6. post this info on the shared web workspace (whether wiki or otherwise)
for
> feedback – please tell us what kind of feedback you would like!

Is it helpful?
Is it comprehensible?
Too much jargon, or good plain English?
What else do you need and/or want to know about testing, about using an
issue tracker, about software quality?
And anything else that comes up for you in looking at the docs and
trying out bugzilla.

> 7. organize for user test of first “build” (to start happening weekly
in
> 1-3 weeks?)

Pending start of development and development progress.

> 8. resolve ZOPE/Ibiblio/Bugzilla issue (whatever you have been asking
Ibiblio
> about)

In progress - JohnH is following up with technical questions.

> · Chad and Rich
..
> 8. issue tracker working

This is bugzilla - this part of 8. is on my list, you can take it off
theirs.

> Questions
> 1. Shared Web Workspace

My answers above.

> 2. Are we ready to post to the PC lists? Or should we wait until we
> have
> structure to embed data into? Let me know so I can edit the post with the
> feedback you gave me.

Depends on what participation we want from outside this list.

If we have no structure(s)/person(s) in place to manage input from the
PC list and we actually get a bunch, then what?
Afaik we don't have that in place at present.
If we solicit input and get some, how will it be assimilated into our
ongoing attributes discussion on this list, creation of phase one spec,
etc.?