pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[16][8.25.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[16][8.25.04]
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:09:41 +0000

Aloha,

-ZOPE/Ibiblio
Looks like Chad, Lawrence, Scott, and I are all ok with starting the project
with ZOPE on Arashi, and raising extra funds (so that they would not come out
of our wages) to buy a server for Ibiblio – after which, we would transfer
the project there.

Schinnerer, Howe, Morris, and Archer? (too many same names here) What do
yalls think?

Fine by me - I've made all my points about this already.

à Lawrnece wrote, “Fred said today that you could install (if it will) and
run bugzilla locally in a Linux user account on ibiblio and could have a MySQL
account created for it also.” Eh? Does this resolve the Bugzilla issue?

According to John H's and my contact with ibiblio, it looks like it will be a go. John H. has asked our contact some technical details about perl libraries needed to use MySQL with Bugzilla to verify it will work, and we're waiting to hear back.

What does everyone think? Now that we have our name, and some other issues
decided (or…almost decided), is it time to announce the project? Or should
we wait until we have a skeleton ready to embed information into (or is that
what Howe announced was ready)?

Depends on what you're going to announce.
If announce is that
"we've got this project going with some funding and a core group and sometime in the future TBD we'll have an alpha for people to play with, test, look at, give feedback on and we'll keep ya posted"
then fine by me.
IMO that's all we can announce at present.

· John S.
1. create interim Bugzilla set-up on Arashi (or, make sure that it is
set up)

I've already posted the link to the interim bugzilla, the link to the help-on-writing-bugs page and invited y'all to create yourselves user accounts and poke around.

2. look into customization options with John H.

I still need to get with John H. on whether or not I can do more customization but you can check it out ASAP regardless.

Create a bug or two if you want, they can be zapped if they're not "real"...

3. Create user account at https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/

I have one for me as tester, and I also have admin access.
Each person who will be testing will create their own user account.

4. once we are ready, set up more permanent issue tracking system and
whatever
data/parameters/customizations are necessary to start using it on our project

Pending
a) being ready ;-)
b) final info on running bugzilla on ibiblio

5. prepare and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue
tracker and
general software test/QA procedures and guidelines – due late the week of
August 30
> 6. post this info on the shared web workspace (whether wiki or otherwise) for
> feedback

Just posted on putting some initial stuff up on current wiki space.

Any more of this now on hold pending status/location/type decision on shared workspace (and because the wiki is so lame it can't even render plain text properly).

I am thinking best solution for me is to put stuff up on my domain and then put links to it on whatever we eventually end up having/doing for shared workspace.

Comments?

7. organize for user test of first “build” (to start happening weekly in
1-3 weeks?)

Pending getting going on development.
Basically just need everyone to have a bugzilla account, study the info I have/will put up on testing and bug writing.

8. research free/cheap and satisfactory hosting services other than
Ibiblio,
report to group ASAP

I have not read anyone else state clearly that they consider this necessary or that they support me bothering to do it. Cross it off.

9. resolve ZOPE/Ibiblio/Bugzilla issue (whatever you have been asking
Ibiblio
about)

Pending reply from them to John H.'s technical queries.
Expect response within a couple days.

Thanks for grouping these by person/people - makes it easier for me to reply in timely fashion.

Questions
1. Shared Web Workspace – Would we like to create a shared web workspace
with ZOPE (Chad, would you be willing to do this?), use this listserv, use a
wiki, use whatever Rich described (if it applies), or employ some combination
of the above?

See above - I prefer to put QA/Test documentation on my domain and link to it from whatever our shared workspace becomes.

2. Are we ready to post to the PC lists? Or should we wait until we
have a
structure to embed data into? Let me know so I can edit the post with the
feedback you gave me.

Feedback above.