pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] synthesis[16][8.25.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] synthesis[16][8.25.04]
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:06:27 -0700

Alrighty folks, I can smell a decision coming on…

It’s in the air and mmmmm it smells good…

The latest synthesis (maybe I’d make a good news anchor, what do you
think):

-ZOPE/Ibiblio
Looks like Chad, Lawrence, Scott, and I are all ok with starting the project
with ZOPE on Arashi, and raising extra funds (so that they would not come out
of our wages) to buy a server for Ibiblio – after which, we would transfer
the project there.

Schinnerer, Howe, Morris, and Archer? (too many same names here) What do
yalls think?

I know there has been serious criticism about buying a server for Ibiblio, and
I completely understand the arguments presented. Archer wrote, “It just
baffles me why you want to donate a machine to ibiblio when really they should
be donating equipment/services to this project!” I like the way you think,
hermano. They already are donating considerable services, but do you
(Lawrence or Scott) think they’d donate equipment too? And something else I
thought of – so they’re offering us matching grants, right? Would the
server be included in this? Because if so….!!!

Some concerns about Ibiblio (not wavering Scott, just presenting things we
might want to resolve sooner rather than later):

à Chad wrote, “Having a virtual or actual server does allow us to do
anything we want. This is not what ibiblio is offering so we have to work
within their parameters… I'm pretty sure they would not give us root on this
box as they specifically said they were 'not in the collocating business' in
an earlier message. This means we are entitled to whatever services they are
willing to provide. The $5k+ server entitles us at least to Zope.” Are
there services we would want (i.e. root access) that the do not generally
offer to their clients? Is this a serious concern, and if so, could we ask
for an exception – considering that we would be donating the server
ourselves?

à Lawrnece wrote, “Fred said today that you could install (if it will) and
run bugzilla locally in a Linux user account on ibiblio and could have a MySQL
account created for it also.” Eh? Does this resolve the Bugzilla issue?

-POST TO PC LISTS –
Ahhh the discussion about attributes…*sigh*

Can’t wait to chime in on that one.

And Lawrence is right, “These are great topics for discussion in our
permacultureinfo public list; maybe it is time to announce it and add
subscribers. Stephanie: do you want to write the announcement - I will supply
you with a few paragraphs of info on accessing the forum.”

What does everyone think? Now that we have our name, and some other issues
decided (or…almost decided), is it time to announce the project? Or should
we wait until we have a skeleton ready to embed information into (or is that
what Howe announced was ready)?

Let me know so I can edit the post with the feedback you gave me.

-PROJECT PLAN –
As usual, updated task list below. A few topics:
à Rich wrote, “I kind of stalled with sourceforge and cvs. They were
concerned about the non commercial side of the creative commons
license, which might not be osdn aproved. I should follow up. It might go
easier if we allow multiple licenses for the content.” Um…okay…what
does this mean? How is this going to affect the task it refers to?

à Howe wrote, “Zope performance collection is now place on arashi.”
Andale, companero! Thank you so much! Also, “I would want to collect a
weeks worth of data before I release this, as to get a decent traffic
distribution graph.” Do we want to:

a) solicit data from the PC list (this might get overwhelmingly
disorganized
if we just want a bit to start out with

b) get data from PFAF (Rich, is the dataset ready for this? Or at least
portion of it, which is all we would need?)

c) get data on zones 3, 4, and 5 from Paula

Let me know what would be the easiest. I say b), if Rich is ready. And
again, thank you so much Howe, for getting your system set up and
communicating with Ibiblio about Bugzilla. Now I gotta ask you for a lil’
favor – can you related what you did to your task list, so I know which
task(s) to cross off/edit? (I assume I can cross off #1?)

-SHARED WEB WORKSPACE –
Hmmm, seems that there are a few options. Chad mentioned we could use ZOPE
for this function. And Morris wrote, “One thing I've been thinking of
recently has been really using email for all my website admin tasks. Want to
add a new link to my links page, just send an email to links@pfaf.org with a
bit of markup. Other idea I really like is the "monitor this forum" button on
sourceforge. They have a lot of public web boards/forums which casual users
can view with their web browsers. By ticking the monitor box, I get emails
sent to me. I'm planning to add a monitor this plant button to the pfaf db so
that users can track any comments about that plant.”

Would whatever you’re describing here (which I don’t necessarily
understand) work as a shared web workspace? Would we like to create a shared
web workspace with ZOPE (Chad, would you be willing to do this?), use this
listserv, use a wiki, use whatever Rich described (if it applies), or employ
some combination of the above?

D’accord. Please check the task list below, and send me any updates. And
as usual, check the questions below and respond – there’s some new
ones…

C’est tout pour maintenant.

paix
*mademoiselle Stephanie

…………………….
Latest tasks

· Everyone
1. relax. breathe. smile. Love hg.
2. Read this project plan
3. Final verdict on platform issue
4. Update me on your status regarding your tasks
5. Send me any ideas you have for potential funders (i.e. Lawrence
recommended
the Noble Foundation and Rich sent me a list – these suggestions are super
helpful for me)
6. Respond to the questions below

· John S.
1. create interim Bugzilla set-up on Arashi (or, make sure that it is
set up)
2. look into customization options with John H.
3. Create user account at https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/
4. once we are ready, set up more permanent issue tracking system and
whatever
data/parameters/customizations are necessary to start using it on our project
5. prepare and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue
tracker and
general software test/QA procedures and guidelines – due late the week of
August 30
6. post this info on the shared web workspace (whether wiki or
otherwise) for
feedback
7. organize for user test of first “build” (to start happening weekly in
1-3 weeks?)
8. research free/cheap and satisfactory hosting services other than
Ibiblio,
report to group ASAP
9. resolve ZOPE/Ibiblio/Bugzilla issue (whatever you have been asking
Ibiblio
about)

· Chad and Rich
1. continue discussing task distribution with each other (as you are
doing off
the list)
2. create an Ibiblio account, when and if need be
3. ask Ibiblio what services we’d be entitled to if we donated a server
them
4. Finish demo accounting/budgeting app. in ZODB w/CLI
5. keep on reading and learning about ZOPE
6. continue developing CLI and add more “Zope stuff” for report
generation
in the future
7. create a working database (with no real data) with php connection and
simple front end (basically just checking that the different bits can work
together)
8. issue tracker working, cvs working, zope working
9. Get it running somewhere/somehow
10. Rich – start doing whatever needs to be done in order to get the
latest
version of PFAF that is under the CC-BY-NC-SA (2 weeks to complete)

· John Howe
1. Get your “box” set up to start the project
2. Review changes in the configuration of Zope 2.7.2 for releasing it to
development access
3. Get zope deployment platform setup for Chad (sometime in the next 3-4
weeks)
4. Back-end Q/A assistance (throughout process)

· Scott
1. Can we pay PI to take care of our bookkeeping? (I promise we’ll be
easier to work with…!)
2. Ask PCU about loan for server

· Lawrence
1. Create new and improved wiki, or other form of shared work webspace

· Stephanie
1. write first draft of email describing project to PC lists, sends to
team
for feedback (on hold for now)
2. write up description user interface/experience, send to list
3. re-connect with Paula
4. Accrue necessary funds for Ibiblio’s server, if we decide to pursue
that
plan
5. make new list of possible funders, including suggestions from
Lawrence,
Rich, and others

Questions
1. Shared Web Workspace – Would we like to create a shared web workspace
with ZOPE (Chad, would you be willing to do this?), use this listserv, use a
wiki, use whatever Rich described (if it applies), or employ some combination
of the above?

2. Are we ready to post to the PC lists? Or should we wait until we
have a
structure to embed data into? Let me know so I can edit the post with the
feedback you gave me.

3. What would be the “required infrastructure” from a host? What are the
necessary hosting services for our project? Please be specific.

4. Archer: “I'm sure there are several people on this list who would
donate
either machine space or funding to rent a "virtual linux server" for the
purposes of developing this code.” Should I send a message to the PC lists,
at least about this?