pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][9][8.13.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][9][8.13.04]
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:01:35 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

-IBIBLIO/ZOPE – oy ve. I have added John H.’s comments to the tally on
this topic:

-Rich – prefers Ibiblio (and whatever platforms they offer) over ZOPE
-Lawrence – Ibiblio and MySQL, Eden., etc. (option 4 of Chad’s list)
-Steph – would like to work with Ibiblio, but I’m leaving this one up to
yalls…

At this point I think 2 things need to happen:

1) contact ibiblio again and find out how soon they think they will provide a
dedicated Zope platform for developers to use ...

[Stephanie: You can call them yourself, since you got funding for this
project.
Just tell them who you are and what your your role is with permaculture.info.
Email Fred at help@ibiblio.org and inquire away.]

a) on their own with their own funding
b) if someone buys them a server & how much would one cost

2) if answer to 1)a) is a long time from now, i.e. over a year and 2)b) is
out of the question
Then you (Stephanie), since you favor ibiblio and the software they currently
provide,
could decide for all of us to do the project there. If noone but Rich likes
this option then put out a call for
other programmers (PC list and sanet-mg and elsewhere - they're out there and I'll bet you could find all you need within a month) who will work in the environment ibiblio provides and offer them a fair wage. I am firmly convinced that a lot of funding _will_ become available to complete the software permaculture.info uses for its database and maintain it, website and any other software that is used. Adequate funding should become available relatively soon to ensure that good wages can be paid to the programming staff. With hosting on ibiblio that would free up nearly all funding to pay you, PI and the programmers.

3) If the answer to 1)b) is yes and we can find the money to pay for this
then start work on ibiblio immediately