pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] v.1.0 of pc post

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] v.1.0 of pc post
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:02:34 -0700 (PDT)

> [Core Group]
> Chad Knepp
> Richard Morris
> Lawrence London
> John Schinnerer
> John Howe
> Stephanie Gerson
> Scott Pittman

I just finished 120+ hours in the last seven days. I am a bit tired...
needless to say, I do have a working install of Zope per Chad's
requirements ready for deployment. I am out of state for the next 5 days
however.

> +++++++++++++++++
>
> Updated tallies - 8.11.04 @ 9:00pm
>
> -ZOPE/IBIBLIO -
> Rich – prefers Ibiblio (and whatever platforms they offer) over ZOPE
> Lawrence – Ibiblio and MySQL, Eden., etc. (option 4 of Chad’s list)
> Steph – I’m leaving this one up to yalls…
> John S. – prefers ZOPE but willing to compromise
> Chad – Use Zope and 'damn the torpedoes'. Start on arashi and move to
> ibiblio when they get a Zope server running or buy space at johncompanies
> or some such if ibiblio doesn't; 1 to 4 of Chad’s list, in order of
> preference
> John H. – ?

I would prefer zope if the long term software design is better suited for
object databases.

The biggest bottleneck right now is ibiblio's previous issues with Zope on
an nfs slice. The issue with this type of storage is this:

INSTANCE_HOME should not be on NFS. Zope uses locking to prevent
concurrent usage of ZODB from multiple servers. on NFS this locking might
fail and your ZODB will get corrupted if multiple servers are started on
it.

So that is why the previous install might have failed originally.

I could also see initial development started on php/mysql/postgresql (
postgresql has support for transactions and gis plugins ) and then moving
to Zope ( or having a value-added Zope Product use the base ). Also,
programmer driven.

Either way, I am still willing to offer space on arashi in the interim
until we get the Zope implementation working on ibiblio. The development
platform is up to the software architects.

I also see a combination of both, if there is a defined API using
XML/RPC-Soap as glue between the two.

> -DOMAIN OWNERSHIP/NON-PROFIT STATUS -
> Steph – PI should own the domain, and if we do decide to go non-profit,
> do it later
> Rich – PI should own the domain, and if we do decide to go non-profit,
> do
> it later
> Lawrence – PI should own the domain, and no to non-profit status (“All
> our time will need to be spent programming and data gathering, and
> promoting our magnificent project.” Nice reasoning.)
> Chad – PI should own the domain, no need for non-profit status
> John S. – ?
> John H. - ?

PI

> -NAME –
> John S. – permaculture.info
> Rich – permaculture.info
> Lawrence – permaculture.info
> Stephanie – permaculture.info as our domain, but not convinced about
> that
> as our project name (this would mean that when we say it, it would be
> “Permaculture dot info”? Hmm…not too into with the dot
> thang…which is
>
> why I’d be more down with Permaculture Information Web.)
> Chad – permaculture.info
> John H. - ?

permaculture.info

John Howe, B.S, M.A.
http://www.arashi.com/

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
-- Albert Einstein