pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:04:55 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I would like to suggest a plan in case Ibiblio is not immediately ready
> to host ZOPE: in that case, I suggest we start right away to MYSQL
> (apologies if the acronym is incorrect). I think we should get started
> on this project ASAP, and my understanding is that we can always transfer
> to ZOPE later on.

Um, not in the object-based design mode that I think we have agreed on
pursuing (Chad, RIch?).
As they say in Maine, "you can't get there from here." Well, not quite
that bad, but it would be lots of duplication of effort.
Zope can talk to MySQL, and a variety of other SQL DBs, but MySQL is not
an object DB.
There may be a product or two out there that lets for example zope/python
objects be stored in a SQL DB, but it is a lot more overhead for all
concerned, in both development and migration.
I can't come up with a good relevant simile at the moment, but in general
it's kind of an apples and oranges thing.

I think I heard John H. offer to host a startup platform for us until
ibiblio is ready.
Anything done there can quite easily be transferred to ibiblio once they
are ready, both the coding and the data.

> ...(I assume no one will read
> this until tomorrow anyway…except maybe for Rich who is in a completely
> different time zone.)

And me, three hours earlier than the West Coast of North America...two
during daylight savings time, we don't bother with that out here... ;-)