pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] hosting, starting, communicating, and other plant*db thangs...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] hosting, starting, communicating, and other plant*db thangs...
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:11:25 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
oi gente,

phewff, I must say - after not reading plantdb emails for a few days, it is a bit difficult to respond to different people's comments. I am thrilled that this conversation is thriving, but also wonder how to sift through emails and thoughts effectively. As John said:

what basic docs do we need to start building (prelim. spec., general proposal, etc. etc.) so this isn't just a bunch of us tossing ideas around?

hmmm..is there an easier way to brainstorm collectively and build upon our comments? I wonder. So far, I have been reading all the emails, and recording important comments so that they don't get lost or forgotten. I suggest we all check out this Wiki website: http://en.wikipedia.org/ for

Graham has already started working on permaculture in the Wikipedia;
organic gardening too.

ideas (the frontend *and* backend can be modified by users - I know some computerfolk would be worried about something like this, but I find it very exciting). Basically a website that adapts along _with_ its users (resonance with permaculture/ecology is obvious). Could we perhaps use something like this as our project-development tool?

It already exists here:

PermacultureWiki
Open Permaculture Project Online
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/PcPlantDb

And have bulletin
board/forum themes going on simultaneously (i.e. where to host the site; which criteria to include; scary computer-talk that no one else understands) so that specific topics/issues can be propelled and built upon by the people interested in them?

All of the above can be done in a Wiki, including file uploads. A Weblog is a
goodresource too; the PC Wiki has a
WikiBlog in it - can have as many as you want in a wiki: different forums,
etc.