pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Hosting the project

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Hosting the project
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 05:12:57 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

Most open source projects are hosted somewhere...so there can be a central
repository of documents, discussion, proposals, etc. (structures we need to
start formalizing to take this beyond a listserv chat/conversation).

My sysadmin is probably willing to host - he'll hopefully be de-lurking here
shortly as he has a lot of relevant technical chops for this project.
Meanwhile, something to think about...what basic docs do we need to start
building (prelim. spec., general proposal, etc. etc.) so this isn't just a
bunch of us tossing ideas around?

Ibiblio is a better place to host this project, its free, is well funded and
staffed with
full time professionals, will exist well into the future, is backed up by the
University of NC
and Richard, myself and others on this list already have accounts and
projects going there.
IOW ibiblio is a known quantity, we know nothing about your host's service or
what will happen to our
project and our data, i.e. our work, over the long haul. Ibiblio exists to
host projects like ours,
hence their name "The People's Library".

When are you going to add pages to the PC Wiki, John? You could suggest a
list of docs we might need to get started
with in a subset of the already-existing PCPlantDB wikipage
(http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/PcPlantDb).
That's a good place to start archiving resources and ideas, its interactive
and a perfect whiteboard allowing projects
to evolve while utilizing its many features, including file uploads.