pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] allright yalls

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] allright yalls
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Well we have now had the one year observation!

Are you counting the many months when this list was dead? ;-)

I for one wasn't observing/assessing much about this project during that time.

> I'm never quite sure of the PPoPaTO I often tend to build,
> refine, etc. as the process of building helps shape my thoughts.

I know what you mean - my desire is to assess as we go and not *just* go.
Design can be see as a repeating cycle of observation, assessment, action,
repeat...recursive at any/all levels.

> I also get slightly nervous that we never get beyond the obsetvation
> side.

Hey, *you* certainly have! :-)

> XML!

Can be very bulky; and, it works...I don't oppose it as a data xfer medium
from back end to front end, for example.

> Good point. If you fancy a bit of testing, I've got plenty to be tested.

I'm already testing the design and the design process...a rare treat in the
QA/testing biz! Usually it's more like "Here, take a quick look and tell us
this is all OK before we ship - tomorrow..."

>> This is data spec:
>>
>>>photos, contact info, and references
>>
> Could say its functional: the database to store photos, contacts
> and references.

Yeah, both - specifies that a database function will be to store some data
(though that's rather trivial, since that's what DBs do); also specifies what
some types of those somethings are.

> So question being what are the core features?

exactly... :-o
More thoughts later...

Cultural & Ecological Designing