pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] allright yalls

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] allright yalls
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:06:44 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

1. neither of us know where each other are from!

Whattaya mean by 'from?', earthling? ;-)
Born in Berkeley, CA; grew up next door in Albany, CA; a year in Sweden; some
winter seasons in Utah (2) and NW Montana (3); four years in Hawai'i; last
seven (!! :-p) in Seattle; moving my "home" base back to Hawai'i this winter.

So how to approach this? Perhaps we can decide together on an interface
for creating this database (which I will briefly go into below)_and then
split into groups on a regional/country basis, and BUILD.

I suggest we bear in mind the Permaculture principle of protracted and
thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labor.

Well we have now had the one year observation!
I'm never quite sure of the PPoPaTO I often tend to build,
refine, etc. as the process of building helps shape my thoughts.
I also get slightly nervous that we never get beyond the obsetvation
side.

(Of course,
each region/country could use their own interface, but I think it would
be more fruitful for cross-pollination purposes if they were
consistent...)

If we keep good separation of data (content), logic and presentation in
developing this we can have it all these ways. Otherwise not.

XML!

The task forces could be separated into:

-programmers
-UI/HCI designers
-people experienced with interactive education
-people experienced with environmental education
-expert Permies--obviously, seek the expertise of local Permaculturists
and guild designers throughout the process

Let's not forget testing (it's the most consistently neglected aspect of most
software projects). I volunteered to be chief test curmudgeon back when this
list got spun off - an offer which still stands.

Good point. If you fancy a bit of testing, I've got plenty to be tested.

I appreciate Rich's
template, but I Love the visual aspect of ThinkMap, and feel that the
user experience would be much much richer with a tool like this one...I
am willing to discuss this, but I almost have too much to say to go into
here).

Again, if we practice good separation of data, logic and presentation you can
create a graph-based interface and others can use that or something else.

3. and now for the actual interface.

It may help to start sorting out elements here.

Basically, the guild-builder/plantdb serves to:

"serves to" is a clue that most of what you list below are functional
specifications. They do not imply a specific presentation (UI) or a specific
data structure. They are what we might want the system to *do*.

-help people in designing guilds for their specific locale,
circumstances, and preferences

What info is needed for this?

-allow practitioners to enter information, ask questions, find references
(people, books, websites, etc.) relating to guild design--

What are the questions they want to ask?

...etc.

Some more examples - this is functional spec:

-add

This is data spec:

photos, contact info, and references

Could say its functional: the database to store photos, contacts
and references.

More functional specs:

...the program be able to
suggest guilds. ...The program would learn based on
the information we provide it.

What criteria would be used to sugest a guild. I'd guess
habitat/existing plants. Anything else?

p.s. John S.-- when I suggested brainstorming the ultimate plant db- it
wasn't so we could BUILD the ultimate one now- just an exercise in
setting goals to aspire towards.

There's what's known in software development land as "feature creep." Meaning
more and more desirable features become seen as necessary. Many a promising
project has been bogged down and/or done in by feature creep. Something to be
aware of...

So question being what are the core features?

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org