pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: Guilds

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: Guilds
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:12:41 +0100

To answer my own question after much searching I finally found something.

From http://oakguild.org/oakguild.htm

In "Gaia's Garden", by Toby Hemenway, the White Oak guild is described in detail.

In nature, plants normally found in the White Oak/Hazelnut community are:

California Hazelnut
Pacific Madrone
Mazzard Cherry
Black Hawthorne
Saskatoon serviceberry
Creambrush oceanspray
Round-leaved snowberry
Thimbleberry
Trailing blackberry
Sweetbrier rose
Broad-petaled strawberry
Poison oak
Yerba buena
Sweet cicely
American vetch

For a functional guild useful to humans, Hemenway suggests substituting a domesticated hazelnut for california hazelnut, a strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo) for the for pacific madrone, grafting a domesticated cherry scion to the Mazzard Cherry rootstock, grafting a pear variety to the black hawthorne, substituting a thornless variety of blackberry for the trailing blackberry, and substituting lemonade berry (Rhus integrifolia) for the poison oak.

I guess it will be fairly easy to incorperate this sort of
info into a database

BTW I found out why I missed some messages. They got classified as spam!

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam. The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
SPAM: SPAM: Content analysis details: (6.1 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: NO_REAL_NAME (0.5 points) From: does not include a real name
SPAM: FOR_FREE (1.1 points) BODY: No such thing as a free lunch (1)
SPAM: DOUBLE_CAPSWORD (1.1 points) BODY: A word in all caps repeated on
the line
SPAM: AMAZING (2.8 points) BODY: Contains word 'AMAZING' in
all-caps
SPAM: LINES_OF_YELLING (-0.0 points) BODY: A WHOLE LINE OF YELLING DETECTED
SPAM: LINES_OF_YELLING_3 (0.5 points) BODY: 3 WHOLE LINES OF YELLING DETECTED
SPAM: LINES_OF_YELLING_2 (0.1 points) BODY: 2 WHOLE LINES OF YELLING DETECTED
SPAM: SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719