pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Initial thoughts on Guilds db

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Robyn Williamson <rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Initial thoughts on Guilds db
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:00:17 +1000

Hiy'all
I have just joined the list because I heard the discussion about guilds was happening. In September we started trialling various guilds as part of Project Human Tractor which aims to clear 1000 sq metres of kikuyu on public land and plant a forest of food as we go. More than half of the trials will be in Australian bushtucker selections including Microlaena stipoides and Microcitrus australasica. Details about Project Human Tractor soon on our web page.

In regard to the 'initial thoughts prompt', these are mine and I think it all should be available freely on the web if that is possible:

1. Would like to be able to enter x, y, z first as soil type, climate and aspect/elevation.

2. All of our stuff has provenance with a photo.

3. We were using a simple spreadsheet that is easy to sort into botanical, common or family names, dimensions (mature height x width x caliper), flowering times, colour, season, etc including rootstocks, vigour, associations, habits, habitat, form, provenance and other information. We have this in an Excel document for our first 100 species. Now we are putting them all (estimated 500 spp including plants, birds, insects, reptiles, amphibians and other animals commonly found on the site) in an Appleworks database.

4. Sorry not to know which end of the internet is up.

Robyn Williamson
PDC, Urban Horticulturist
Hon Sec, Fagan Park Community Eco Garden Committee
Local Seed Network Coordinator, North Western Sydney Community Seed Savers
ph/fx: (612) 9629 3560
www.genevar.com.au/seedsavers/lsn/32.html
rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au

  • [pcplantdb] Initial thoughts on Guilds db, Robyn Williamson, 10/04/2003