pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] A possible database

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] A possible database
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:31:46 +0100

I've just made a new colaborative database available you
can find it at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/pcplantdb/index.php

Its really just a proof of concept/request for comments and illustrates
some of my ideas about how the database could be structured and the type of features it could have.

What it does:
1) You can add data to existing plants.
2) You can add new plants.
3) You can add new sections, for example you could add a Folklaw section
with info surronding the folklaw of the plant.
4) You can add KeyWord , for example a new type of habitat.
5) Everything is references by footnotes which indicate who added
this information. (I've gone over the top on this).
6) Its not just restriced to plants, the structure makes it very easy
to create new types of things. As an example of this a Plant Guild type
has been created and the White Oak Plant Guild has been added
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/pcplantdb/showthing.php?BOTNAME=White+Oak%2FHazelnut+community
7) Its prettry easy to create relationships between things,
for example adding members to a plant guild.
8) A pretty strict (but extensible) structure for how information
is ordered. Basically a tree structure of sections.

What it does not do:
1) Ugly clunky interface, just the basics to get it running.
2) Poor search capabilities.
3) Its append only, you cannot edit or delete existing info.
4) Full of bug.
5) No speed issues have been addressed, I've haven't even added
indexes to tables.
6) I'm not 100% happy with table structure, there a lot of things
I'd like to change.
7) Atrosious spelling
8) No security, anyone can add data. Probably hackable with SQL exploits.
9) No data/error checking.
10) Hacky style to php scripts, OO wrappers would be nice.
11) No CVS for scripts.

Bassically I've sat on this for over a year and wanted to get it
out the door warts and all.

Make sure you have a look at the release notes
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/pcplantdb/README.php
which describe everything in more detail.
You can download the scripts from there.

What you can do now:
1) Add data
2) Start discussion on the way we would like to organise
data.
3) If you get a login on ibiblio then you should be
able to
3a) add php/python scripts to present the data differently.
3b) Mess with table structure
to get a login have a chat with Don Sizemore dls@metalab.unc.edu

be warned its only a test bed, no guarentee that data entered
will be retained.

Bug reports should probably go to me (webmaster@pfaf.org).

Discussion on table schema, the sort of sections we might want,
interfaces etc should probably go to the list.

Enjoy

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org