pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] data; project resources

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] data; project resources
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:54:10 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> so far no word has been said about all the information an plants and
> their guilding capabilities, that sits WITHIN the programm, or doesnt
> it? what about that? if "free" - who puts it in for free? if not free,
> who gets paid what on which kind of arrangement?

Good point & question Georg...

I'm only interested in the whole thing being available at no cost to those
with little or no money, including the useful output.

If that is what we choose to do, who puts data in and how it is 'validated' is
still a big and open question.

As to resources...some ideas...

1) There are a few of us techies here, but most open source projects probably
have more hardcore geeks (that's a complimentary term in this context :-) -
people who make their livings developing software and/or love it so much they
do it in their spare time too. We need some of those. Anyone here fit that
description?

2) Often the genesis (and the free labor, etc.) for such projects comes from
academic contexts. Universities have computing resources, possibly interested
faculty, and lots and lots of (hopefully) eager students, both undergrad and
grad, some of whom would love to get their teeth into a "real world" project
like this. Anyone here have hooks into that sort of situation?

cheers,

Cultural & Ecological Designing