pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [pfaf] Re: An open souce plant database]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [pfaf] Re: An open souce plant database]
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:07:41 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [pfaf] Re: An open souce plant database
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:14:28 -0400
From: Judy Phillips <newmoon@blueriver.net>
To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>

Hello Richard
I am not a member of the pcplantdb mailing list (though perhaps I would like
to be?) but thought I would post a few suggestions here, if you don't mind,
for you to pass along
There is an excellent piece of open source software called the Greenstone
Digital Library available for free at
http://www.greenstone.org/cgi-bin/library?a=p&p=home. It is quite easy to
use, attractively formatted, and materials can be assembled in html format
for online viewing or placed onto CD for distribution.
I have found this software very easy to use for it's flexibility. Libraries
can include any type of file--images, spreadsheets, documents, web pages,
even links to other sources online. An excellent search query feature allows
the user to enter keywords and come up with a compilation of all relevant
documents. There is are even multiple language interfaces! And since it is
an open source project, the techies out there among you could even tweek the
program to suit your specific needs.
As for the accessibility/cost issue--that is always a quandary. Obviously it
takes time and money to compile such a database and such efforts deserve
support! But my inclination is that information should be free and available
to all. My humble suggestion would be that the database be made available
for free online viewing, with a (searchable) CD containing all the relevant
literature made available for a fee. In keeping with the open source
philospohy, it would be quite easy for users to add their own materals to
the compilation to develop their personal "materia medica", regional dta,
guild notations, what-have-you.
Hope this is of some help to you. Thanks so much for all your hard work!
Judy Phillips

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719