pchealth - [pchealth] Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Paleo diet

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pchealth] Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Paleo diet
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:39:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Paleo diet
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:04:04 -0500
From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

On 12/3/2012 1:45 PM, Toby Hemenway wrote:
On Dec 3, 2012, at 9:09 AM, venaurafarm wrote:

http://www.drfuhrman.com and his book "Eat to Live"
http://www.drmcdougall.com True North Health Center in Santa Rosa,
CA http://www.healthpromoting.com

I am a believer in nutrient dense food

We live near Santa Rosa where Fuhrman and McDougall have a large
influence. I shifted to their diet about 3 months ago: foods with
high nutrient to calorie ratios (tons of veggies, legumes, not too
many grains, avoid all processed foods, very modest amounts of
pastured-only meat (8 oz/week or so), and no dairy). They
scrupulously avoid all oils, calling it "the ultimate junk food"
meaning they are processed, have no nutrition, and have all their
calories from fat. So you get your oils from nuts and seeds--tied to
nutrients (like organic fertilizer).

Toby, I am glad you are in good health now with an extra boost from the
Fuhrman diet. Your testimony alone should be enough to convince millions
of folks of the value of this particular dietary regimen.
I have followed natural nutrition trends ever since I heard the term
organic applied to food. This one represents an important new direction,
combining raw with cooked and without oil, dairy, and
processed foods.

On a per calorie basis--not per weight, which is not what matters
with food--meat has 10% of the protein and 5% of the nutrients as
green veggies. I was always a meat-eater, but those data are pretty
compelling.

My blood pressure and cholesterol had been creeping up over the
years. In 2 months, blood pressure had dropped 30 points on both
sides, and cholesterol had fallen in half. That's typical for this
diet: everyone reports that. I had thought I had been eating a
healthy diet: nearly all organic for 25 years, but I now see that I
had a lot of fat, a fair amount of processed food (breads, pasta,
cereals) and far too much dairy,

Wow!

On what I thought was a healthy diet, I was diagnosed with serious
cancer 6 years ago, so something clearly was amiss, and I went
macrobiotic for 2 years. (I'm cancer-free now) Organic alone won't
save you. Judging from blood pressure, cholesterol, and my increased
energy level, I think this diet is onto something. Kinda paleo but
much lower in meat and avoiding dairy and oils (cavemen didn't milk
cattle or process olives.)

I am glad for your good health now!
Your new diet seems ideal though, if convenience allowed, I would move
further away from cooked foods, infrequently eat meat and only in raw
state, i.e. steak tartare, chateaubriand, sushi - raw fish, oysters
A strict raw vegan friend of mine once suggested that if you must eat
meat, eat it raw, seafood the same. I learned about food combining from
him; a similar plan can be read in Kulvinskas' Survival In the 21st
Century. These food combining rules can be seen as being as important as
your choice of foods to eat; they might serve you well and further
enhance your nutrition and well being. His book is still available on
Amazon, used. When I ate a raw vegan diet I felt better than I ever had
in my entire life. Yes, protein is important and yes B vitamins give you
quite a rush but a balanced raw vegan diet is a different matter entirely.

Paleo Diet = Foraging Early Man Diet.
As for getting oils from nuts and seeds; acquire a hand crank grain
mill; run your seeds and nuts through this. You will be amazed at the
oily paste that is created. Prepare a large, diverse salad with properly
combined vegetables and some fruits. Grind your seeds or nuts and use
them as a salad topping. In a blender put the following: carrots,
sunflower sprouts, raw almonds, celery optional or alternative
ingredients: onion, garlic, sunflower seeds, parsley, cilantro.
Use as a salad dressing for a complete meal. I suppose it could be a
smoothie too.

Toby http://patternliteracy.com