pchealth - Re: [pchealth] [permaculture] Fwd: Paleo diet

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pchealth] [permaculture] Fwd: Paleo diet
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:09:54 -0500

On 12/2/2012 10:43 PM, Rhonda Baird wrote:
I really like Robb Wolf's take on this. He is also very interested in
promoting permaculture. I've heard him mention it a few times on his
podcast and been in contact with him about it.

I've eaten paleo for several years and found it to be very beneficial for a
number of concerns--and it fits very well with the kind of food production
I am interested in. I wonder what others think about this or what others'
experience of this has been.

Lindsay M. Starke and Robb Wolf are excellent writers on the subject of nutrition, separating hype from reality while providing useful information and advice.

Lindsay M. Starke
http://www.lindsaymstarke.com/
Robb Wolf
http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

The Paleo Diet sounds very similar to the Joel Fuhrman Diet.

http://www.drfuhrman.com and his book "Eat to Live"
http://www.drmcdougall.com
True North Health Center in Santa Rosa, CA
http://www.healthpromoting.com

I am a believer in nutrient dense food or food with
exceptional nutritional value derived from the soil
it was grown in; provide the best, most natural, most fertile growing conditions for crops and they will provide maximum human nutrition,
or nutrient dense.

Here are links to Wolf's writings of interest:

Robb Wolf, a former research biochemist is the New York Times Best Selling author of The Paleo Solution – The Original Human Diet http://amzn.to/uXQCVl. A student of Prof. Loren Cordain, author of The Paleo Diet http://www.thepaleodiet.com/
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/robb-wolf-on-paleo-nutrition-and-permaculture

Permaculture meets Paleo (paleo forum at permies)
www.permies.com/t/10884/paleo/Permaculture-meets-Paleo

Choices seem to include:

raw vegan
raw fruitarian

vegetarian (some cooked food, no animal protein)

dairy/egg/fish vegetarian (cooked and raw foods)

Paleo Diet

Furhman Diet

the various low carb, low fat, high protein, meat regimens

traditional Japanese macrobiotic (Ohsawa, Kushi and others)
- essential elements include: miso, tamari, umeboshi, rice vinegar, sesame oil, mirin, rice malt, rice, beans, fish, tofu, natto, shiso leaves, ginger

traditional Chinese diet

traditional Indian diet (emphasizes the use of valuable herbal ingredients in cooking; I see some of the paleo recipes use these, i.e. turmeric) - Ceylon cinnamon, cumin, coriander, turmeric, hot red pepper, black and white pepper, natural mined, unrefined, salt

traditional Asian diets
specifically: Phillipines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia)

mixed cooked and raw foods with red & white meat, dairy, poultry, fish
i.e. traditional Eastern and Western diets

<>

I seem to eat Japanese macrobiotic, lean meat protein, fruit, large salads most of the time. I would never exclude grain, seeds, nuts or beans from my meals, preferences that are not in keeping with the Paleo diet, though that is worth considering. In keeping with a simple spartan diet, modest protein, infrequent meat, diverse food types I
like the usual macrobiotic combination of miso soup, rice, tofu or tempeh or canned fish (herring or sardines). I will alternate this meal with meat and big salads and cooked cereal with a multiplicity of ingredients: oatmeal, corn grits, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, oat bran, flaxseed meal, almonds, dried apricots, prunes and raisins, served with honey, a little olive oil and natural salt, and nutritional yeast. I think simplicity is the key, only eat when you are hungry and after you have completely digested the previous meal and keep keep each meal simple, diverse foods and balanced, i.e. soup, rice, tempeh. I will have today corn grits, turnip greens and tofu. The high fiber WASA crackers are excellent at night with tea.

  • Re: [pchealth] [permaculture] Fwd: Paleo diet, venaurafarm, 12/03/2012