pcdb - Re: [pcdb] And another year

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] And another year
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 23:33:35 +0000

Hi Matthew,

I haven't been slack for some self-fulfilling prophecy here. ;)

I've been working - in my day job - with Cassandra, a massively
scalable key-value store. In the recently released v0.7.x
branch, it can be a bit smarter with indexes, but it's still a long
way from being anywhere near as useful (for what I want to do,
or think I want to do) as a SQL-able RDBMS.

I'm starting to look at SciDB - it has a pretty impressive set of
goals, and an even more impressive progenitor driving it - but
is some way off being ready for production I think.

OTOH, the amount of data that I'm thinking about will, or at
least the key set will, easily sit inside a reasonable amount of
memory - so I'm in no hurry to find esoteric solutions for that
aspect of my problems. OTOOH I may well be grossly under-
estimating the size of the problems that I may one day have.

What is it they say? Algorithms are for people who can't afford RAM.

I'd love to know a bit more about this VSAS thing - can't find any
obvious candidates on the intergoogles - but obdisclaimer here is
that I'm hip with the basics, and only the basics, of OO.

On the upside, I'm a big fan of CI, so the Kohana layout should be
easy to accustom to. What's the licence on your work?

Sorry to hear about the iPhone app. ;) (Nokia N900 user here,
though sadly my street cred has fallen through the floor since
Nokia sidled up to Microsoft.)

My gut feel, as ever, with statistics for the average permaculturist,
the big problem will be getting enough raw data into the system in
a useful format. The second will be having a system free and
designed and documented sufficiently to let (other) people do
the really interesting statistical work.

The permy list in oceania has, of late, become pretty depressing
in terms of in-fighting and the generation of closed or exclusive
systems. I hope it's a blip.

j.