pcdb - [pcdb] And another year

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcdb] And another year
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 03:22:00 +0000

Heck, tempus fugit eh?

Time for a yearly check-in on people's lack of progress.

I'll go first -- I haven't (progressed). I've been working some
ridiculous (for me) hours the past twelve months, and that isn't
likely to change for a while. It's sad. I'm sad. I have many ideas,
but realise I lack insight and skills on how to tie them together.

I still doze off to sleep every now and then with a particular
schema / relational problem in my head in the hope that I'll have
the answer the next day. Alas . . .

Lately these focus on geo data, and absolute .v. relative (think
location on planet for helpers, suppliers, climate comparisons etc,
versus detailed mapping within your own property say, for tracking
what you've planted - but without having to consider where on the
planet that may be). Need to learn more about MySQL's geometry
types to get some ideas.

I see another Pc portal has opened up. Had a curious experience
there where apparently my profile wasn't considered sufficiently
complete, and my account was deleted without notice. I'd tracked
down one of the admins to see what was wrong, and only then
found out about this.

Left me a little perturbed.

Anyway, I thought portals were a bit 1990's? Or at least tried
some number of times, unsuccessfully in the past decade. Can't
work out what their plans are for this thing - it seems to have
been a bit of a secret project, which in itself doesn't bode well.
The geo info they're gathering could be fascinating .. but .. we'll
have to see what they decide to do with their system & data.

Mind, the emphasis might be on 'their', there. Consider the tone
of this page: http://permacultureglobal.com/terms

Jedd.