pcdb - Re: [pcdb] And another year

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Matthew Shultz <deepwinter@winterroot.net>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] And another year
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 20:08:06 -0800

Nice to hear again from this list.

Last year I had hoped to finish a basic interface to try out w/ this list of
what I was then terming 'Vast Sprawling Attribute Set' as a way of
conglomerating all the different types of information on relationships that
people out there may be aware of in their permaculture project. I was
looking heavily at Amazon SimpleDB as well as an open source drop-in
replacement M/DB http://gradvs1.mgateway.com/ , which also supposedly runs
on an object oriented database. The main gain here would be to facilitate
data collection and connection making without having to set a schema at the
beginning, one of the main issues with any plant or ecosystem related data
model (at least in the real world). I didn't get to the point of
implementing this simple interface, since my time ended up being put into
another database related project with similar object flexibility, but with
different purposes. Jedd, I'd be interested in your views of Vast Sprawling
Attribute Set as a first step, since it sidesteps the issues of needing to
try to shoehorn a normalized set of relations - of course this has
significant downsides as well. If anyone is interested, I'd also be willing
to demonstrate the system I've built which allows an easily evolving data
architecture, as well as relationship management, without knowledge of MySQL
- it's an open source project that we at our collective Made of People could
use some help with. It's written in PHP/Kohana w/ Javascript/Mootools.

Also on my plate has been the development of an IPhone application in
conjunction with a well known forager here in the USA. It should be released
in about a month's time and may be of interest to users of this list. The
full version will contain 160 well known naturally occurring plants, along
with a host of minor lookalikes and poisonous to avoid. We also have several
other ecology related apps in the works, it's looking to be a very exciting
year! I've developed my Iphone/IOS/IPad skills significantly, so anyone with
ideas or wishing to partner should feel free to contact me off list. My
plate only gets larger, as I am also scheduled to interview as UC Davis for
their Population Biology PhD program this coming weekend. We'll see if I
decide to bite, but either way I've started to see some value to high power
statistics, and I'd be interested in views of more 'ground level'
permaculture folks on this as to notions of where statistics could be
leveraged for the layman perma-eaters.

m.