pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Modelling RDF in relational databases

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Modelling RDF in relational databases
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:27:00 +0000

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 00:27:26 Paul d'Aoust wrote:
> Hi, Jedd. My secret feeling is that, although RDF triples are quite a
> thrilling and versatile concept, I just can't get my head around them,
> and they may be very hard to abstract into something extremely simple
> for the average permie to use. I'm trying to keep my mind open; that's
> why I'm attempting to understand this RDF thing.

Agreed. I feel that I'm missing something very important about
the subject, and yet I can't work out why (let alone what). It's
not a hugely complex construct, after all.

A fortnight ago I went over to FOSDEM [1] and by one of those
weird coincidences, on the Friday night before it kicked off, I was
in a pub having a yak with one of the guys who was there to do
a doing a presentation [2] on SPARQL, RDF and tying in with things
like Nepomuk.

It might have been the 11% beer, but I started to 'get it' .. though
I really can't work out how it could be applied to the types of
problems that we('re going to) have.

Maybe Matt has some ideas on this subject?

Matt - do you have access to the archives? There's not exactly
a *wealth* of background info from this list - a fairly torpid
and uninspiring sequence of ponderings, I'd imagine, were I
being totally candid. ;)

We've read your message to Keith from 2010-02-15T20:45:33 -0500
but we're obviously in a different realm here than a CMS. I think
few of us really understand the complexities involved - though
Paul Cereghino's message (and link to one of his PDF's) from
2009-03-28T10:16:27 -0700 is an excellent, if ultimately quite
depressing, example of an exception.

The 2 minute summary of my intent is to create a system that will
let me record activity / productivity of different elements within an
environment - and I thought I may as well add the extra dimension
up front to allow others to contribute data about their own
experiences. At the moment it's a plan in my head and a few pages
scrawled into various notebooks.

Obviously other people have substantively different end-games.

J.

[1] http://fosdem.org/2010/
[2] http://fosdem.org/2010/schedule/events/xd_nepomuk_sparql