pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Modelling RDF in relational databases

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Modelling RDF in relational databases
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:41:48 +0000

On Monday 22 February 2010 19:39:23 Paul d'Aoust wrote:
> Personally, I wanted to get into this game because I liked PFAF, but

Yup - I guess a very big part of what I want to do is track
what I plant, when I plant it, conditions it experiences (of my
own making, as well as climate / weather) .. and so on.

The species / variety stuff is fairly straightforward. It's the
interconnects that throw me.

I suspect most of us diverge on the stuff beyond this realm,
though, and that's what I meant about the 'substantively
different' requirements.

> Oh, so you do open-source stuff, eh? That's kinda cool; do you do it
> professionally (e.g., with Mandriva or some other company), or is it a

Hobby, definitely. I'm from Straya, staying in the UK for a while,
so an excellent opportunity to be immersed amongst so much
inspiring / daunting / invigorating geekdom. :)

> Yes, but they might not be entirely incompatible. As you probably know
> from working with KDE, we create fictional users with specific goals,
> and run them through our dream system in usage scenarios. It might turn
> out that we need to accommodate a few end-games to make it useful.

Oh, yes, I should have dwelled on this a bit more. I was trying to
be succinct - and failing, as usual - in case Matt got scared away,
but happily he's nice and verbose, like us.

I think there's going to be lots and lots of overlap - and I'm sure,
once we actually work out what we're (each) trying to do, we'll
probably find a huge common pool of interest and, hopefully,
code. But first we have to, you know, work out the broad stuff,
then the details, and then get into the paper-scissors-rock bit
of picking a common language .. framework .. style guide ..
colour scheme .. ;)

I like your idea of laying out the model we're contemplating. I'll
put a link in my next message to where I've got some of this
stuff - though sadly not all of it - and just as sadly it's not
terribly well laid out or accessible.

Do you have anything web-visible of your thoughts, at the
moment, of this kind of thing?

J.