pcdb - Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:31:50 -0700

On Sat, 2007-31-03 at 21:10 +1000, jedd wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007 4:04 pm, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> > Concurrently.
>
> Okay .. by whom, then? If it's the same set of people, what's in
> it for them (and why are we on two mailing lists).
>
> If it's not .. how do the two groups feel about it, and would there
> be an intent to merge the systems in the future?

I think we should merge, and do it sooner rather than later. Even if we
have to make compromises, I'd rather see all our efforts pooled into one
great resource than to split them up and make two decent resources. And
I shudder to think of the amount of work involved in consolidating the
databases in the future, especially with all those relationships and
links in possibly vastly disparate data structures.

> Let's think *really* big and only scale it back once we know for
> sure that we can't do something. Aiming low means you meet your
> expectations .. but that's a Pyrrhic victory.

okay, that sounds like fun. Actually, that's what actors do too. They'll
act big, then tone it down, which is much easier.

Paul d'Aoust